Author: vanko
•9:06 PM
http://www.gtdtimes.com


“Ha ha ha…”

A sudden laughter followed by a frank remark made me uncomfortable.

We were in my room, drinking beer, being tossed in the wave of music when Jun (not John), a coworker from Philippines, laughed out suddenly.

His remark: “I know this song. It’s Matellica’s. Isn’t it? It’s a copied song.”

“Yes,” I answered. “And ya know, in this album, some songs are copied. But not all are,” was my excuse.

But my excuse was crushed under another blow of sharp and bluff comment. He showed no mercy.

“No, I know, from the first song to this one, they’re all copied. I didn’t tell ya ‘cause I don’t know the original artists of those songs. But this one, I definitely know, is Matellica’s.”

It was ‘Call of the sea’ (ပင္လယ္ေအာ္သံ), the second album of my favourite rock star, Lay Phyu.

“Oh, yes. I forget. Songs in this album are all copied,” I confessed in a half annoyed and half embarrassing tone. But he didn’t notice that. Probably he was drunk.

“Don’t you Filipino singers sing copied song?” I queried, after a couple of minutes’ silent.

“Of course,” he answered. “But, ya know, there’re very few copied songs in Philippines. Mostly we create own tune. Today, every artist, even very young Filipino artists, try to create their own tune and are very proud of it. We’re trying to compete with the international artists. We create our own tuned songs, our own style and wanna show our creativity to the world.”

He said these words in a proud and thrilled voice. I listen quietly, embarrassingly and awkwardly. It was one of the unforgettable moments in my life.
This entry was posted on 9:06 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On 10:19 AM , မမသီရိ said...

အမ တို႕ဆီမ်ာေတာ့.. ေကာ္ပီ လို႕ ေကာ္ပီမွန္းေတာင္မသိႏိုင္ၾက

တခါတေလမ်ား..

လူအမ်ားစုက ေမာင္ေလးလိုပဲ ခံစားျဖစ္ၾကတာေလ ေနာ္.. း)
ကိုယ့္ျမန္မာ သူခ်င္းနဲ႕ သံစဥ္တူတဲ့ ႏိုင္ငံ ျခားသီခ်င္းၾကားမိရင္.. ကိုယ္တို႕ ျမန္မာသီခ်င္းပဲ သူတို႕ ယူဆို သလိုလို ခံစား ရတာ.. း)

 
On 2:18 PM , Dream said...

ငုတ္တုတ္ႀကီး.. ဘာထိုင္လုပ္ေနတာလဲ.... ဒီလူပ်ိဳႀကီးေတာ့ေနာ္.. ဟားဟား.. မသင္းေမက ခြဲသြားလုိ႔ စိတ္ဓာတ္က်ေနတာလား.. ဟိဟိ..

စိတ္မပ်က္ပါနဲ႔ ဦးဦးပန္းဂ်ဂါးရယ္.. မသင္းေမျပန္လာမွာေပါ့.. ဟိဟိ.. ေတြ႔ခ်င္ရင္ လုိက္သြားလုိက္ေလ.. ခစ္ခစ္.. :P